Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Single and Steadfast or Steadfastly Single?

In the opening credits of the movie Breakfast Club, a song lyric from David Bowie flashes across the screen saying, "And these children that you spit on-As they try to change their worlds-Are immune to your consolations-They're quite aware of what they're going through."

I feel like we, as the single kids, are definitely quite aware of what we're going through and don't necessarily need the constant reminders and consolations of others. And when I saw this month's Ensign, I can honestly say I didn't have the best attitude towards it. I saw the title "Single and Steadfast" and I jokingly thought more along the lines of "Steadfastly Single" or Single and Holding..." However, I read through the articles and although there were no lighting bolts or earth-shattering discoveries, there were definitely good thoughts of advice and words of comfort.

I especially liked this line: Accepting rather than resisting current singleness allows a focus on what one can learn--not just what one might lose--by being single.

There are so many people who pray and work for us daily and I truly believe the prayers and desires of each and every one of our hearts are heard and known. Luckily, there is one who is also quite aware of what we are going through and He yearns to comfort and bless us as we seek Him and humble ourselves before Him. I testify that there can be hope and happiness in our single years and I have known and felt it in my life. And I know there are opportunities to define ourselves in so many more ways than just being single.

Also, I want to give a shout out to the peeps of the 17th ward who made the back cover of the Ensign. props to you c-wood-way to represent.

-NJ

No comments: